Breaking News

Charles River Expands In China

October 30, 2012

Acquires stake in Vital River

Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. has entered into an agreement to acquire 75% of Vital River, a commercial provider of research models and related services in China, for approximately $27 million. Charles River also has an option to acquire the remaining 25% of Vital River in the future.

With this acquisition, Charles River will provide research models and associated services to the emerging China market for drug discovery and development. The acquisition is expected to close in 1Q13, subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.

James C. Foster, chairman, president, and chief executive officer of Charles River Laboratories, said, “We expect demand for research models in China to significantly increase over the next several years as drug development initiatives in academia, government and biopharmaceutical companies expand. Through our acquisition of Vital River, Charles River intends to set the standards for research models in China, the third-largest pharmaceutical market in the world, and play a leading role in this emerging opportunity.”
blog comments powered by Disqus
  • FDA & Drug Development

    FDA & Drug Development

    Rachelle Du2019Souza, Regulatory Heights Inc.||September 8, 2016
    You must perform the necessary due diligence to stay on top of regulatory developments

  • The Role of Alliances in Modern Drug Development

    The Role of Alliances in Modern Drug Development

    Dr. Claire Madden-Smith, Senior Vice President, Juniper Pharma Services||September 8, 2016
    Combining expertise to get drug candidates through development

  • Successful Method Transfer of Solid Oral Dosage

    Successful Method Transfer of Solid Oral Dosage

    John Frankonis, Ropack Pharma Solutions||June 2, 2016
    The three steps outlined will help guide the process of completing a successful analytical method transfer