Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER)
February 27, 2012
The FDA successor to the Bureau of Biologics concerned with biologic drugs and with the new protein and peptide drugs arising from biotechnology. According to its charter, CBER is responsible for ensuring:
• The safety of the U.S. entire blood supply and the products derived from it
• The production and approval of safe and effective childhood vaccines, including any future AIDS vaccines
• The proper oversight of human tissue for transplantation
• An adequate and safe supply of allergenic materials and anti-toxins
• The safety and efficacy of biological therapeutics, including an exciting new array of biotechnology-derived products used to treat diseases such as cancer and AIDS.